Saturday, September 22, 2012

Doi Suthep

Last week one of my students asked me where I had been in Chiang Mai. I had to admit, not had not seen much, only places reachable on the old shoelace express. When he asked where I would like to go, I said I would like to visit the temple on the mountain. I have a great view of the mountain that towers over Chiang Mai from my window, and you can't help but notice the golden structure peaking out from the dense foliage. The student then offered to take me there the next day. I never turn down an invitation unless I have to, so I agreed.
The temple (Doi Suthep) is about a eight mile drive up the mountain from town. At the top is a cluster of shops selling souvenirs, a great view of the city, and a huge staircase leading to the temple. The temple itself was massive, with elaborate shrines everywhere, chanting monks, and gawking tourists. My student gave me the tour and insisted that I participate in some ritual chanting, bowing and candle lighting. While I like many of the ideas behind Buddhism, such as quieting the mind, non-attachment, and compassion, here they seem to focus more on Buddha worship, rituals, karma, and superstitions. I can't complain though, overall I have experienced Thai people to be genuinely kind, honest and helpful.   



I wish I would have counted the steps. The dragons back is the handrail all the way up.

A dragon vomiting out four others. Awesome.

One of the shrines inside the temple.

I'm not a Buddhist, I just look like one on my blog. 

1 comment:

  1. I see real income earning potential in case full time teaching doesn't pan out in an exotic country. Maybe developing and selling fortune cookie messages or providing advice to recent American college grauduates on how to live a full and rewarding life on a shoe string budget, while experiencing the best of cultures and geography. Sign me up, the traditional 30 year career strategy is a bummer!

    Continue to have fun for those of us who aren't there, yet ..... Nancy

    ReplyDelete