Friday, September 21, 2012

Teaching

Well,  I guess I'm a real paid teacher now. I'm only working a few hours a week, so the stress level is definitely low.  I teach a mix of college students and adults, all who come to classes after school/work and on weekends. I teach mostly out of a textbook, which makes things a lot easier than coming up with my own lesson plans. I couldn't ask for better students, they genuinely want to learn and are good about asking questions about new words and concepts.
I have recently started looking for more work, ideally I would like a full time position where they help me get one-year visa. So, the last couple of days I got dressed up in my sunday best and went school visiting. I quickly realized that I am just one in stream of English teachers that must make the rounds to these schools to apply for positions. Usually I was just made to fill out an application for and leave my CV with the secretary, without even meeting with the person in charge. A little frustrating, but maybe one of the seeds I planted will grow into a job offer. The good news is that I only need to work about 10 hours per week to support myself. Gotta love a rock bottom cost of living!

1 comment:

  1. I have a strong feeling that just the right job will eventually reveal itself!! If not, it will be some other experience just as great!! I know, b/c you so deserve it!! Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete