Friday, September 14, 2012

My Thai Momma

Did you see that picture of the Pad Thai from last week? Well, here's the story of who makes it. My first few days were spent scoping the local food scene. Some places nearby cater strictly to tourists, some strictly to locals, and some a mixture of both. I prefer the local places, but often the menus are only in Thai, forcing me to just point to someone's food and say "bring me that" These places are usually very busy too, and the workers sometimes seem annoyed having to cater to some random foreigner that got lost and wandered in. After some sampling and searching, I found my Thai momma. She runs a hole in the wall little restaurant with no real menu and random stuff just kind of scattered around her booth. She had those two magic words posted out front in English, "Pad Thai". That was enough to get me in the door. But what makes eating there great is the woman herself. She speaks exactly zero words of English, and my Thai ranges from "Hello, how are you?" to "uhhhh Pad Thai?" I went home after my first visit and looked up the word for delicious, which are "Aroy mak mak". I went back and ate there again, and she was pumped about how delicious I thought her food was. After that I was in. Now I go there everyday, and she is always excited to see me and have a laugh about how little we understand each other. She gives me extra rice and samples of whatever she has laying around. When she is cooking for someone else, she stops by my table first and gives me a scoop right from thier plate before she delivers it. I love it. Ice water is free and plentiful, which is essential when you are sweating buckets or try the wrong kind of pepper that all Thai eateries have as condinments.  She always seems happy and has that motherly instinct of making sure you are well fed to the point of bursting.  As long as she is around, I think I will be fine living in Thailand

2 comments:

  1. Forest, I'm amazed at how well you have adjusted to the Thailand culinary life! You seem to have a knack for finding good eateries. I can't wait to hear how Christine adjusts to this new life and leisure. Take good care of the girls, I'm sure they will be thankful for your guidance once they arrive in Thailand.

    Christine's mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey my son!I'm so glad you've found a kind lady to feed you, tho i have to admit i'm a little jealous!! 2 ?? for you before i go to Mt Shasta for the weekend..how did your teaching go this week, and, what does your blog title mean?? Does it refer to your food adventures and satisfaction?? You can't imagine how thrilled i am that you are writing this!! AND how proud i am of you, having big horizons out of this country!!! Oh 3rd ?...Can i buy a ticket to come visit in January?? I promise i would get my own room!! Plz say Yes!! So much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete